Your profile picture is used everywhere you are logged in with your Microsoft Account, but it doesn’t always look good in every app. Here is why and how to fix it. Continue reading
Just a back story: I did attempt to move my custom domain to Microsoft’s service awhile back and it was not friendly nor did it look like it was actively supported at the time, so I decided to stick with Google until now. Microsoft uses a service called domains.live.com to handle custom domains routed to live services, such as Hotmail.com(outlook.com), profiles, calendars, etc. Instead of using a live.com or hotmail.com or outlook.com, msn.com or passport email address, you can use your own purchased domain to utilize their services. Since I am using all MS products now (laptop, phone, surface and xbox), I thought it was the time to try it again. Heck, maybe things have improved since 4 years ago.
Prep your gmail settings to ensure that you have “Pop” enabled to download all mail.
Log into gmail.com and go to the Gear -> Settings -> Forwarding and POP/IMAP
Set to “Enable POP for all mail”
Go to http://domains.live.com and log in with your Primary Microsoft Account, or create a new one if you don’t have one. I suggest picking an outlook.com account.
Add a custom address and make sure “Setup outlook.com for my domains” is selected
Verify the ownership by adding a MX and TXT record with your custom domain registar or host dns
Once verified, select your Active domain and add a new member account
Now, logout and login into outlook.com with the new account you created to confirm your new account.
Once in, it is time to add you Google email so we can import your messages.
Go to Gear -> ” More mail settings” -> “Your email accounts”
Name the account something other than your existing email, like firstname.lastname@example.org
Tell it to move all mail to your inbox. btw. this will retrieve all mail (inbox and sent) and place it into your inbox.
Let it retrieve all your email.
For me, I let it go overnight.
Clean-up Outlook.com Inbox
Google puts all mail (inbox and sent) together and adds flags to them to seperate them into virtual folders. When you import your mail into outlook.com, it will get all mail (inbox and sent) and import it into your outlook.com inbox.
- Once all the mail is retrieved, do a sweep and move all messages from you (your email account), to your sent folder.
- Select all email in each folder and choose all records, then mark as read.
At some point, Google will no longer receive your emails because of the MX record changes and your outlook will no longer fetch them (new mail) as the mail will be coming directly to you new outlook email.
You will get an error on the account status page, because it cannot send a verification email to the temp email you set up in 8.3. You can ignore this as you wont be sending from this account anyways.
Apparently there is no way to add or link an account to Skype while the application is running.
I always ‘Auto Sign-on’ with Skype. So, I had to log off Skype, then choose ‘Login with Microsoft Account’ option, then it will present you with the option to merge accounts.
Then, you will see this under your profile:
You will need the new Skype beta 5.11 to enable Microsoft account linking.
Now-a-days everyone is linking accounts and data, rather than keeping them in sync. So if you have multiple accounts with an addressbook or contact list, it makes it hard to keep them up-to-date, especially once you unlink them.
1. First export your contacts from your program or web app of choice. For me it was Google’s Gmail.
2. Then from Hotmail, click on Contacts, Manage, then Import.
3. Remember, clicking on an app will link the contacts, not sync. We must choose ‘Outlook’, which will take you to an upload form.
4. Browse and attach your csv and upload.
5. After the upload is complete, you will have the option to merge duplicate contacts.
I previously upgraded my Redmine install from 1.1.0 to 1.2.1 an needed to supply a mongrel.rb file in the config/initialization folder. This was needed because of special requirements for use with Mongrel 1.1.5.
After upgrading to 1.3.0, I copied my normal configuration.yml and database.yml to the config folder following the upgrade instructions, as well as the mongrel.rb to the config/initialization folder. I also updated Rails per the requirements for Redmine 1.3.0 to 2.3.14
I restarted the Redmine service and got a blank white screen. After doing a little digging, I realized that the mongrel.rb was missing the entry for Rails 2.3.14, so I added it, restarted and voila! Fixed.
An updated file can be found here.
I had a problem for over a year now with a mail account hosted on my ispconfig server.
The first thing I noticed was that there was a phantom folder with no name under my email account.
Then after it performed a Send and Receive, Outlook would crash.
It turns out that there was a bug in ispConfig 22.214.171.124 that inserted a extra line break in the Mail Subscription file. Even though I was running 126.96.36.199, my email was created while in the previous version.
Remove the first line and save. :qw